Maryland Art Place offers a variety of opportunities to artists throughout the year ranging from exhibition open submissions and general calls for entry. Below is a listing of MAP's current opportunites. Artists and curators wishing to submit a proposal to MAP may do so through the “open submission” process which will be posted soon.
Monument Lighting Poster
A Holiday Poster Project
Application Deadline: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 4pm
Maryland Art Place (MAP), in partnership The Downtown Partnership of Baltimore (DPOB) is pleased to announce an open ‘Call to Artists’. As an extension of MAP’s annual IMPRINT Project, MAP is working with DPOB to offer a unique opportunity for artists of the greater Baltimore metropolitan area. Collectively, MAP and DPOB wish to license the image of a work of art. The image of that artwork will be used to represent the annual Monument Lighting in Baltimore City to be held December 1st, 2016 where the artist will be publicly acknowledged for their work.
ABOUT THE MONUMENT LIGHTING: The Annual Downtown Partnership Monument Lighting will take place on Thursday, December 1, 2016. Now in its 45th year, The Monument Lighting will feature local entertainers, food, holiday activities, and a spectacular fireworks display. A holiday village will take place; featuring vendors, a beer garden for adults, and a special Kids Corner in the parks that surround the historic Washington Monument in Mount Vernon Place. What began as a quiet gathering of neighbors more than four decades ago has grown steadily to become one of the Baltimore metropolitan region’s favorite holiday events. In 2015, nearly ten thousand people attended the event. The event is produced by Downtown Partnership of Baltimore with support from The Baltimore Office of Promotion and The Arts and the Baltimore Department of Recreation and Parks.
General Guidelines & Information
- MAP only accepts 2-D works - photography, graphic design, print making, painting or similar media for duplication.
- All works must be no less than 4 x 4” and no more than 20 x 20”.
- Work should be oriented in a portrait style and sent in a file no less than 300 dpi for print. The final poster dimensions will be 18 x 24 with borders, sponsor logos, and the event copy.
- The artist agrees to release the artwork for press and promotional purposes related to the Monument Lighting.
- Artist will remain owner of image copyright.
- Artist grants to Downtown Partnership a non-exclusive license to use and publish the Work to promote the Monument Lighting. Downtown Partnership may disseminate the Work in the following formats at any time throughout the world: (1) print; and (2) any Web, Internet, or other digital version. The Work may not be used, published or disseminated except as part of and illustrating of the Monument Lighting or Downtown for the Holidays promotions, as approved by Downtown Partnership of Baltimore. Promotional reprints for posters, postcards and greeting cards that include the Work shall also be included in the grant of rights described in this Agreement.
- The poster may include branding related to the event before printing. The artist will not be responsible for including branding in their design.
- DPOB will cover the cost of any photography, scanning and printing associated with the poster reproduction.
Benefits to the artist: The selected artist will benefit in the following ways
- $500 Cash Award
- Increased visibility of artist’s name and artwork through:
- Press announcements
- Highlighted on MAP and DPOB’s websites
- Artwork will be featured on the cover of the 2016 ‘Downtown for the Holidays’ guide, with a distribution of 170,000
- Acknowledgement at the Monument Lighting on December 1st, 2016
To apply, please see the following application and required attachments.
Application Fee: $10 for non MAP members
Submit your fee by clicking on the “Get Involved” – “Donate” page on MAP’s website and simply adjust the contribution to $10. Please attach your payment receipt with your application.
-OR- Pay by Check to: Maryland Art Place | c/o IMPRINT | 218 West Saratoga Street Baltimore, MD 21201. Please mention that you have sent a check in your application.
Submit your application by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on Tuesday, October 4, 2016.
- Friday, September 9, 2016: Call to Artists Released
- Tuesday, October 4, 2016: Application Deadline
- Week of October 10, 2016: Selected artist announced
- Wednesday, October 19, 2016: Awarded Artist Announced
- Thursday, December 1, 2016: Monument Lighting